Sunday, January 6, 2008

Aren't Sundays great?!



There is just something about Sundays. There just seems to be a different pace to that day every week. Today was so nice. Trey and I got a nice long walk in down through the Old Quarter. The streets weren't quite as crazy as they usually are, but the sidewalks are still full with scooters, people eating and people selling stuff. On the way back I swung by the bakery and grabbed a baguette for lunch - this bakery is awesome. Tons of beautiful cakes and pastries. And lunch for $.40?! Love it!

This afternoon Beata took Trey for another walk (that boy loves the front pack!) and I got another run in. I do get a lot of looks and comments running in shorts and a tank in conservative, Communist Hanoi but I am so used to people staring at me all the time with Trey that who cares. It was kind of funny when I thought about the fact that I am in shorts and everyone else I see is in long pants, long sleeves and a jacket. It was mid-70's today. They are weird!

After naps we hopped a cab and went to the Temple of Literature - Vietnam's first University - it is dedicated to Confucius. It was absolutely beautiful. It is right in the middle of the city but you feel like you are away - kind of like Lake Harriet!. Think Temple and not University to get a picture of it. Afterwards we had dinner at Koto. It is a place started by some Aussie's a few years back. It takes street kids and teaches them how to work in the restaurant industry, giving them a leg up and a chance for work. The food was great - one of the best meals I have had here so far (and that is saying a lot!).

Tomorrow we are all going to a Snake Village and a Furniture Village. I have no idea what a snake village is -- I do know I hate snakes. So why go you might ask? Why not! Plus they probably have snake wine and who doesn't love that!

The picture of Trey and I is from the Temple of Literature. The other is Trey enjoying his new digs. 5 minutes later he was totally crashed out!

Last thing - thanks for all the nice comments when Trey was sick. He woke this morning with no fever and my boy is definitely back! He was cracking me up all day long!

Hope your Sunday is just as good!

4 comments:

Barry's said...

Hi Cindy-
I'm so glad to hear that Trey is back on track.
Charm some snakes for me tomorrow...
peace-
Sandy

kim (keem) said...

hi cindy.. i just started following your blog and by your referencing of lake harriet in today's entry, i realize that it's highly likely you live in the twin cities area.... i live in uptown and am waiting to travel to vietnam to pick up our baby girl in ca mau... the end of our 60 day wait is january 18th, so we're hoping to travel soon!.. as for minneapolis weather - it's a tropical 40 degrees today - a big mess of sludgy, melting snow - but, hey i'll take it.. and you probably know this already but in case you don't and you're having a hankering for some good vietnamese eats after you and trey get back to the states - jasmine deli and jasmine 26 over in the eat street area are the absolute best vietnamese restaurants in the area (i'm half vietnamese and their food tastes just like my mom's cooking - yum!) - not to mention that the sweetest vietnamese family runs/owns both places..
anyway - good luck with getting approval soon and glad to hear your son is feeling better..
kim (keem)

Anonymous said...

Hi, CJ --
Glad to hear Trey is back in action. I think Jenna took over whatever was ailing him :-) We were standing in the doorway, all dressed, coats on, just walking out the door for church and Jenna just started tossing her cookies! She looked a bit pale and was doing this weird cough thing so I actually was just waiting for it to happen. Better here than at church :-) So, Jase and Tommy are at church and I'm home with pukey. Joys of parenting. Luv, T.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cin- So glad to hear Trey is back to his great self. Tommy is crying himself to sleep for a nap right now and NOT cracking me up! I do love Sundays but that also means back to work, and that I do not love. So enjoy your night and I hope you had a good day with the snakes...you couldn't pay me 1 millon dollars to go anywhere with the word snake in it. Love you and Trey.