Tuesday, January 8, 2008

If it weren't for bad luck...



I would have no luck at all! At least that is how I feel some days. This morning started with getting some news about the water damage to my home. The house is still standing and all, but really not what you want to deal with when you are on the other side of the world. If you see either of my sisters or my niece please stop and give them a hug for me. They are stepping in and getting things done for me, I cannot thank them enough.

One of the guys here with me called the Embassy today. He was told we would hear nothing until next week. That may or may not be true, but again - not what I want to hear.

So instead of a pity party (which sounded like a great idea at the moment) off we went. We hit the Museum of Ethnology this afternoon. It was very cool. It has outdoor exhibits that show the houses that people of different tribes live in. The picture of Trey and I is in front of the "Long House" (I know, they really strained the brain on that one). The inside exhibits showed artifacts, agriculture, clothing etc of the different tribes. All in all a very worthwhile way to spend the afternoon. From there was a bit of paperwork followed by happy hour with the others, including betting on the NH Primary (we did it on the Iowa caucus too, I won that pot!). Dinner was at a place called Highway 4 to celebrate one of our families’ last night here in Vietnam. They came over with their I600 approval as their daughter is from a different province. The food was only so-so, but the atmosphere was fantastic and the black bee liquor, well not so tasty. I really need I stick to the wine I know and love! Trey liked his dinner - and contrary to the picture I really do feed him more than just crackers.

I am amazed at how Trey can just roll with things. I drag this kid all over the place most every day here. I try to make sure he gets at least one of his naps in his crib - but the second one is usually in the front pack if it happens at all. Tonight he crashed for about 40 minutes at dinner but woke up happy and ready to play. I know I may have jinxed it by saying it out loud (or in this case, in print), but with where we are, man oh man am I lucky!!!

So tomorrow - I am keeping things crossed that we will get some better news. You do the same. With all the prayers and thought I have coming my way right now I figure we are due the good news we are hoping for!

Thanks for following along. And seriously - if you see my sisters or niece - hug them, take them for a run, buy them some wine, something!!!!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet Cindy!!!
I cannot look at this without welling up every time. I am sooooo proud of you!!!! Trey is absolutely gorgeous and you two are going to have the most awesome life together. (I can see it has already begun!) What an amazing experience! I don't know much about blogs, but I hope you can keep it forever! What memories!

ALL my love from Minnesota. I can't wait to give you both a big squeeze!

xxoo

Monica

Jo Jessica Loves Philo said...

Hey CJ and Trey-
Sorry I have not written sooner, but I have been following your journey. I am sending you all of my prayers for you to come home soon. But a maternity leave in Vietnam does sound pretty amazing! I miss you sooo much and can't wait to get my hands on Trey :) Take care and stay positive.

Betsy

Anonymous said...

Cindy! Don't worry about the house in MN --- you just know your family has your back! It will probably look just as you left it, when you return! :-) Hey, nice toes!! Have you been getting pedicures with Trey in the front pack!!??? :-) Great photos, (AGAIN!!!), that you are sharing! So, they say "bad" things happen in 3s ...Trey got sick, house got some water and they told you nothing this week re: the I600....this means that the next thing you hear about the I600 will be ALL good!!!!! Keep exploring...you and Trey really are having the trip of a lifetime!!!! :-) Love ya! LIZZY

Anonymous said...

Cindy and Trey. Really love the pics. You two really look like you are having fun. You have a son who likes to explore, just like you!

And Liz is right...your toes look great!

Crossing all appendages here in Walla Walla. I600 coming soon (that word again), I just know it.

Hugs,

Birdie

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! Know that we are praying for you and will continue to until you come home! Trey looks really good too! He looks like he is filling out. Yeh! I cannot wait to meet him in person (in the warmer months of course).

Anonymous said...

Cindy,

I'm loving the pictures! Trey is one helluva good looking kid!!! I can see he has already charmed your socks off (thus the toe comments), and will continue to do so with all of your family and friends here at home. It has been such a pleasure to read about your many wonderful experiences and entertaining stories along the way - what a way for the two of you to bond! I am so excited for you both!

I am very much looking forward to seeing you and the little dude Minnesota bound soon.

Wishing you a speedy and effortless return home. Take care!

Jon Mc.

Anonymous said...

Hey Cindy!
You and Trey are looking great. What an adventure. Can't wait to meet him WHEN you get home. Speaking of the home if there is anything you need, or if your sisters need any help with the house, let me know. 952-992-0321

My thoughts are with you.

Big Hug,
Hank

Anonymous said...

Gross! I can't believe they squeezed bile and blood from a snake then expected people to drink it! And you did???? You must have a strong stomach! Please don't show me any pictures from that little adventure!!

Keep on, keepin on Cindy. You're doing a great job!

Miss you!
Angie Couillard

Barry's said...

So if I say when life hands you lemons, will you ring my neck when you come home?!?!?

Here's to some of the best lemonade that you will ever have the joy of making.

peace and hugs,
Sandy

Anonymous said...

I think you've more than fulfilled your bad luck quota on this trip, so you are OVERDUE for great news! Here's hoping and praying that it comes very, very soon. We miss you...

Leeanne

Anonymous said...

Cindy,

Hang in there! Boy what experiences you and Trey are having. I don't think I will be trying the snake blood anytime soon!

Take Care,

Karin

Anonymous said...

I just got caught up on all of your pics! You two look great. Now we just have to get you back to MN.
Stay strong. See you soon!