Thursday, January 24, 2008

Goodbye Vietnam




After all this time in Vietnam it is finally time to head home. When I left MN 7 weeks ago I never imagined the journey I was starting - the things I would do and see, the people I would meet or the roller coaster of emotions I would feel. I think back to the first day at the care center and meeting Trey for that first time, it feels like a lifetime ago. In some ways it was.

There is a lot I will miss. The people I have been with during this journey are amazing. You just cannot go through what we did together and not feel a very special bond. I will miss some of the little gestures here like always handing things over with 2 hands. I have loved walking the streets. I love my runs in front of Uncle Ho's mausoleum. The food of course and getting to know the most unusual country I have ever been to.

There are other things I definitely will not miss....horns honking, woman tugging at Trey, haggling on prices, government ridiculousness and scooters on the sidewalks!

If you take away the stress of the past few weeks it has been wonderful. I have seen a lot and been to many different parts of Vietnam. It has been a great chance to get to know my son's birth country.

Now it is time to start the next chapter. I am so excited to introduce Trey to my family and friends. I have been blessed with such wonderful people in my life, these past few months (well, years) have proven that over and over.

Trey and I took a cyclo ride home tonight and loved it! That is a great way to get around town. Plus it bodes well for Trey in a burley next summer! The other picture is just Trey hanging out playing while I pack. He has no idea what he is in for when he gets home!

So thanks for following along on my journey. I have loved all the responses and emails I have received, thank you so much!

All the best,
Cindy and Trey

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful way with words (brought a tear to my eye). I'm going to miss reading this blog each morning... but I'm so looking forward to chatting with you in person (over a cup of coffee)!

Safe travels - love,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful trip home Cindy - Lou - Who! You and Trey will handle it as effortlessly as you've handled the past 7 weeks!! I just know it! Can't WAIT to talk to you on the phone, once you've settled into being home again!!! Give "Mr. Trey" a HUGE hug from the Browns! :-) Love, LIZZY

Anonymous said...

Hey Cindy. I have truly enjoyed starting my day off with your news and pics from this amazing adventure. Thanks for allowing me to share tears of joy, sadness and laughter (snake blood...really?) through your blog.

You have done all of us a great service by including us in this chapter of your journey with master Trey.

Wish you had a layover in Seattle, Lizzy and I would meet you and Trey there!

Safe travels and talk to you soon!

Love, Bird

Anonymous said...

Cindy, can't wait to see you and Trey. I too will miss reading your blog. Each day the kids ask about you and what you and Trey have been up to. We have loved it but are even more excited now that you both will be home so very soon! Can't wait to see you both! Love, the Cronins

brownkels said...

Cindy I can't belive you are on your way home! The hood misses you so much! I can't wait to see you this weekend and meet Trey. What a journey you have been on and the memories you will have forever becuase of this...unreal. I will be laying in your driveway like I promised! LOVE YOU!!!!

Anonymous said...

Cynthia,
Michelle Trench gave me your link and I have ben following your journey the last few weeks. I am so happy for you. I look forward to meeting Trey soon!

Jill Ingvalson

Barry's said...

Wahoo!

Can't wait to see you!

Hugs-
The Barry Clan

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you guys are on the way home Cindy! We just got home too, and I owe you a picture;) Have a safe trip home, and I'm so glad to have had the chance to meet you in person. Trey is just an awesome kid!

Anonymous said...

WE can't wait to meet Trey. Call us when you get settled in to home!
Love to you both,
Angie, Craig & Sydney