Monday, January 14, 2008

A normal day...



I am not sure what a "normal day" is anymore. For me, here, right now it consists of not doing any sightseeing or touristy things. It consists of the normal stuff we do every day - grocery shopping, taking walks, time with friends, maybe a run. I have had a handful of days like that here and they are wonderful - today was one of those.

We didn't "do" anything really, but it was such a nice day. Trey and I walked through the market for a while. I went to my favorite bakery. We walked the streets trying to find stores we saw previously but hadn't been in to. We had happy hour with our friends which flowed over into dinner.

What isn't normal is that I am doing these things in Vietnam. I realized as I walked home tonight how my life will never be the same. Not just in bringing Trey into my life, but these past weeks have changed me. I don't think I will look at my life at home in the same way anymore. Little things. I was walking home by myself tonight and Trey is sleeping on my shoulder. Just how you cross an intersection is different (look 4 ways). How you walk on a sidewalk (or in this case NOT walk on the sidewalk because of the scooters parked there). I looked down at my son about a block away and just had to stop. He is so peaceful in the middle of all the noise and chaos. He absolutely amazes me.

So, the huge disservice our government is doing to us has a definite upside. When I have the energy maybe I will blog about just what crap our government has pulled in keeping us here - it is incredibly petty. Join in my protest by not paying taxes this year if you like! I know in the long run I am lucky to have this time with my son in his country. I will likely never have this time again. I hope if we do he is old enough to understand it.

The first picture is my best defense! The weather has turned a bit cold again and I was determined to not get scolded by the woman on the street. Dig the rapper hat (thanks Molly!!)? The second is when I got home tonight, he was so beautifully asleep I wanted to catch it. It won't last long!

6 comments:

Barry's said...

Hey Cindy-
Those normal days are such a blessing, aren't they?
I've found that the defination of "normal" has become fluid. It doesn't mean nearly the same now as it did 2 years ago!
Enjoy, this "normal" will be over before you know it!
love you,
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy!
Greetings from Charlotte. We just want you to know that it's been so neat following your blog, lovin the pictures, and most all we're cheering Trey on-- hoping that he gets to his new home SOON.
--Kathleen and Ray.

S. said...

Your son is just gorgeous. I know another family in Hanoi got their approval Monday (I *think* they are with a different agency than you).

Glad you were able to have a normal day, and when you feel up to it please share your experience with USCIS and the embassy there--it might help those of us behind you.

He looks so cute in his hat--I am packing lots of hats to avoid being chastised too!

Anonymous said...

Hey CJ....

Trey looks SOOOOOO Happy with you! What great pics you are sharing with us.

I will keep you guys in my prayers for the i600. Beyond frustrating for you, I'm sure. I'm happy to picket with my "Bring Trey and CJ" home sign...just tell me which govt building!

Hugs to you
Birdie

Anonymous said...

Cindy,
I crossed my fingers and toes for you to get your I600 approval this week!!!
I wish our MN Congressmen could intervene and do something about this silly wait.

Take care,
Ann

Dana said...

AND you did get a chance when he was older and you ready to go back(writing this in 1/13 and you just returned). So happy you had the chance to return with Trey!