Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas night


Merry Christmas everyone!

It is Christmas night in Hanoi and all is well. It was a very different Christmas but one I will never forget. It started with a phone call (via Skype) with my family. They were celebrating at my brother's home so I got to talk to all of them. It was so fun to hear all the voices from home. As they all headed out to skate on the lake we got on with our Christmas day.

We went up for breakfast - seems most hotels have top floor restaurants over here. After about 7 cups of coffee it was time to figure out what to do with our rooms. Seems using a travel agent for rooms over here isn't the best way to go. Unfortunately there is also a 48 hour cancellation needed to get out of your room. So round and round we went....unfortunately Ryan (one of the dads) got stuck doing most of the negotiating. We still don't have things where we want it, but the price came down and we will have to figure out what to do tomorrow. What a big huge waste of time!

Katie, Trey and I headed out to try to get a feel for the city. It is so different from Saigon. For one thing it is cloudy and cool compared to the hot and sunny south. It is just as loud but not nearly as many scooters. You do not have to dodge moving scooters on the sidewalks here, but they just park them there so you end up having to walk in the streets a lot. There is also the "news" (read propoganda) over the town loudspeaker at 7:30 am and again at 4:30 pm. Weird! I don't think we made it to the part of town we were looking for. We stopped for our Christmas lunch (see picture) and then Trey was crashing so we headed back to the hotel for the afternoon nap.

This evening was our Christmas party with all 6 families here from our agency. One of the dads organized a big buffet at their hotel. It was so fun to meet all the kids and see all the newly formed families. The older kids ran wild and the younger ones stole toys from each other. It was a very fun night.

Now the wait for the I600 really starts. It is hard as (we think) we will be notified via email so you just want to keep hitting refresh on the computer. Good thing we are back at the hotel for nap time so we can keep checking. Unfortunately it limits us on excursions, but maybe we will do something over the weekend to get out of town.

That is all from here. Hope Santa gave you what you were hoping for, I know he sure came through for me!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cindy & Trey,

Merry Christmas! I hope you hear soon on the I-600 approval.

Karin

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Cindy, Trey and Kati.

How wonderful you were able to talk to your extended family on Christmas!! Your pictures are great (Jim says you look very happy). I thought of you this morning as my baby boy (now 15) was the first one up and prodding everyone awake to see what "Santa" may have left. A magical time of year.

Will keep praying about I600. You will be home soon....

Merry Christmas.

Love bird

Anonymous said...

Cindy:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I know that pesky I-600 approval will come soon!!!! Sounds like a GREAT first Christmas with Trey ....the start to many, many more FUN times with a baby boy in the house!!! (Even when they're 8 and 12, they're still your "baby"! :-) ) Even though it's the 26th for you now, it's still Christmas afternoon here....so, Merry Christmas to you all! The photos are just too precious for words!!!! :-) Much love, ELIZABETH

Barry's said...

Hey Cin-

what a cute picture! Now the most important question, is the food as good?

I'm off, I'm hungry! SO great to talk to you, hugs to Trey and kate!

peace-
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Cindy & Trey!
Looks like you two are doing great...love the blog and pictures. Hang in there with the 1600 approval - I'll say an extra prayer for that.
Kelly T. (aka Popko! :)