Sunday, December 30, 2007

Oh what a day!



Hi all

As I mentioned in yesterday's post today 5 families decided to go to the Perfume Pagoda. The guide books made it sound incredible. Our agency contact here had not been before but we decided it sounded like the perfect day trip. And it was...almost!

We left the hotel bright and early this morning for the 2+ hour drive. We had 8 adults and 6 kids. The drive was beautiful. We see so much driving through the countryside. It is very different from what we saw driving in the south to the beach. There is a lot more farming, everything is very spread out. What is similar is the ability to have a beautiful, obviously expensive home mixed amongst pure poverty. It is all incredible.

We get to the starting point at a little before 10. We knew we had a boat trip ahead of us but no one realized this trip would be in very small metal canoes. Seriously! We got 3 boats, they technically hold 8 people but YOU try that with kids. The trip was about an hour. With a 10 month old. In a little boat. How do you think that went? Yep, fine as long as I gave him crackers! The cruise was one of the most beautiful, magical hours of my life. For the millionth time since I have been here I wished Brady (my amazing photog friend) was here so someone could capture this extreme beauty. It was beyond belief. The river ran through lush mountains, with pagodas perched throughout.

When we got to the other side we were thrilled to find out that they put in a cable car to take us to the top. Those of you who know me know that I would love an hour (or two) hike up a beautiful mountain. But with a front pack and a backpack, not so much!! So into the cable car we went. At the top was a cave that you walked down a ton of steps to get to. Inside were about 7 different alters, all for different things. Our guide made it a point to light incense to give to me for the alter that can help me get married! There was also one point where I stood for a few minutes with my hand on top of a large stone hoping for a drop of water to land in my hand. It did and I was instructed to rub it on both Trey and I. I think that guarantees us a very lucky life (like we need help in that department!!).

From there it was back down the cable car to a few more incredible pagodas. Again, pictures do not do it justice. Then a lunch (which is a long story in itself, but we were totally getting taken to the cleaners on a bunch of things here...in the grand scheme of things though no biggie). Another hour boat ride back (and a few more crackers) and the longest drive back due to livestock traffic jams followed by baby melt down and no dinner.

I have to go back to the store tomorrow as I just ate all of Trey's crackers while typing this!

Tomorrow is a working day here, Tuesday the Embassy and Consulate are closed. Keeping sending prayers, juju, mojo - whatever - that we get our approval in the next few days. That would put is back home early next week.

Hope everyone is enjoying a long weekend. If you are one of the few who need to work on Monday, call in sick!
Cindy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi you two!
Cindy, you inspire me!! I am sending prayers, good thoughts, crossed fingers all your way hoping for the approval. You and Trey have to meet our new black lab Sidney when you get home.
Love, Popko

Anonymous said...

Cindy ~ Have talked to Kate and I know she is SO bummed she couldn't stay and be with you and Trey; especially as you are checking out all these beautiful pagodas and mountains. (Can you imagine how she'd be in the cable car?!) Reading your blog has been a joy....thanks for sharing & can't wait to see you and your son. LOVE, Missy

Anonymous said...

Hi Cin-
It sounds like an once in a lifetime kind of a day, funny how you keep having those on this journey, huh?
I'm so glad you are making some serious lemonaide out of these paper work lemons.
Hugs to Trey,
peace
sandy

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy,
Those pictures of you two at Perfume Pagoda are absolutely beautiful.
I've heard a lot about this place and wish to go there someday.

Have a fabulous week!
Ann

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy- I am so proud of how well you seem to be handling all of this-nothing familiar, stretching out of the comfort zone- maybe there isn't one in a new country. You still have your sense of humor and good story-telling and have loved reading your blog. Cooper was here over the New Year's and made new friends and got lots of love from the dozen people all night. We kept him up late for the 4 nights he was here so he'll sleep well with M and T tonight. Happy to hear Trey is getting bigger and stronger every day and in such great lovin' hands to bond with his momma. Glad to hear you're making the most of things and hope things can get wrapped up ASAP. We're all excited for you to come home soon with your son. xxStephanie

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! You are a super mom! I am so impressed with how you are doing all of this in a foreign country. And how adorable is your little Trey? He is so handsome! Sydney and I will be adding to our nightly prayers that you get home ASAP. I miss you!
Happy New Year mom!
Angie*