Sunday, December 23, 2007

Is it Christmas?



Merry Christmas everyone! It is really weird being here for Christmas. Except for the scooter Christmas parade last night and tonight it just doesn't feel like it is here. There are decorations up. Our hotel has a dancing Santa at the entry way and a jeweled tree in the lobby. We have heard a great Vietnamese "Jingle Bells" about 6 kazillion times. All the little kids have their Santa outfits. But it is 90+ outside and we haven't done anything Christmas-y, although I don't even know what that would be over here!

One very thoughtful friend of mine gave me a Christmas mix cd before I left. We have listened to it every day here and that has been a great reminder that Christmas is here and get us in the holiday mood.

Today Trey and I went to the zoo with one of the other families (Katie shopped). It was surprisingly a pretty cool zoo. It had most of the usual animals - elephants, lots of snakes, monkeys, etc. It also had a beautiful bonsai garden, acrobats/performers and museum. Olivia (the other family's 4 year old) insisted we take a train ride and it was a great way to see the grounds. It was a very fun way to spend the morning.

We hit the main shopping drag this evening so Katie could pick up a few more things (the girl can shop!) then had dinner at a Thai restaurant before joining the craziness that we have dubbed the Scooter parade.

Tomorrow we head to Hanoi. There are 3 more families already there so I am sure we will do something fun for Christmas day. I have heard mixed results on Internet there so I will post as I am able.

I hope the snowstorm in the Midwest didn't prevent anyone from getting to where they want to be.

Song playing now...Baby it's cold outside!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Cindy, Trey, Katie, and all the other families awaiting their return to the U.S.! How nice that you can all be together across the world for the holidays. These will be special memories. Enjoy Hanoi! (One other suggestion: fruit soup on the street. Delicious!)

Love, Kim, Steve, and Tu

Alex said...

Hey Cindy,

My sister-in-law, Michelle, pointed me to your blog, because one of my best friends, Anne Marie, is in Vietnam adopting her daughter right now. When you see her in Hanoi give her a big hug from me. Your son looks wonderful. Congratulations and merry Christmas!

Alex

Barry's said...

Cindy,

The big man looks great. Cold and windy today, high of 6, I think with a wind chill below zero. We can not wait for your returen and Ben prays for you and Trey every night.

Love,

The Barry's

Anonymous said...

P.S. Say hello to Hien for me!
Kim