Saturday, December 29, 2007

Saturday in the park...


Well that was the plan anyways! It is Saturday night and Trey is crashed early. He has his blanket pulled over his face, an empty bottle on his chest. Life is good.

After a morning of a long, casual breakfast and even longer nap we finally got out of the hotel close to 1. Betsy, Beata and I were going to take the boys for a nice long walk to the Botanical Gardens. We heard they were just a few turns away and really beautiful, so off we went. After walking a ways we were pretty sure we had found them. We couldn't get in from the street we were on so we walked the perimeter. Turns out we were not at the Botanical Gardens but at the Presidential Palace instead! Great news as I had wanted to see that! So we toured around where Uncle Ho used to live and work, and of course where he is laid to rest. We didn't go into the mausoleum - it is not open in the afternoons. Fine by me, I don't need to see THAT! But it was a great afternoon even with the wrong turn. We only got whistled at once (by the guard when I got too close to a display, not a "you are so hot" type of whistle") and did not do any damage to international relations. Always good news!

A little bragging on the boy. He has changed so much in these 2+ weeks we have been together. He is definitely fattening up (compare the cheeks today to a few weeks ago) and is learning all kinds of things. His biggest accomplishment to date is he can now sit up for long periods of time with no help. I even fed him that way this afternoon. I know that isn't unusual for a 10 month old, but when I first got him he couldn't sit up on his own at all. Plus he is now sleeping so much better. He still needs 2 bottles during the night which is nuts, but he doesn't scream out in his sleep like he used to (just ask Sandra, this boy would SCREAM!).

We have an early day tomorrow - we leave the hotel at 7am for the Perfume Pagoda. My Lonely Planet says it is "a complex of pagodas and Buddhist shrines built into the limestone cliffs of Huong Tich Mountain". All I know for sure is it entails a bus ride, boat ride and 4K hike up a mountain. I will give all the details tomorrow!

Tonight's picture is Trey being very proud of his newest talent! Check out the awesome outfit my friend Candace sent him for Christmas! I want one in my size too!

Have a good weekend all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey CJ.

May my garden look as good when I'm dead! Sound like a beautiful wrong turn!

Great to hear try is thriving in leaps and bounds under his mama's care...just as we all knew he would.

Very cool you are able to witness your son's big milestones.

Hugs to you both. Enjoy exploring and keep the updates coming!

Love,

Bird

Meyers Family Blog said...

Many hugs for both of you. Many prayers too for speedy paperwork.
Hurry home!
Meg

Anonymous said...

Hi, Cynthia :-)
I am addicted to checking your blog everyday. It's so fun to see Trey and hear about your adventures. He looks great!! Way to go, Mom! So happy for you I can't stand it. See you back on the home turf!! Love, T.

Anonymous said...

Another great photo, Cindy!!! How will I ever decide which one I want for the fridge -- I just need to resign myself to the fact that I need a "Trey Janssen shrine" section!! :-) Glad to hear you all are exploring so many neat sites!!! WOW! What a blessing in disguise ... I know you want to get home, but on the "glass is 1/2 full" side of things, the paperwork delay is allowing you all this great site seeing!!! And, allowing you to really enjoy Trey's milestones ... once you get home, life will be full of so many more wonderful moments, that these little "sitting up" moments may not be as monumental!!! Thinkin' of ya EVERY day! LIZZY